Home Cooked ABC Soup

2011_03_27 Home Cooked Food 015a

ABC soup is many households famous soup for the family, and am sure each of the family will know how to make this, though is very much depending on individual preference and measurements of the ingredients.

For my type of ABC Soup, I normally omitted the potato which I don’t really fancy of it, and surely adding more of onions and carrots. Some may added pepper corn to the soup to make it more fragrant.


2011_03_27 Home Cooked Food 004a


Ingredients
2 medium size carrots, cut into chunks
2 large onions, cut into wedges
200g pork ribs
4 honey dates
4 large tomatoes, cut into wedges
1.5 to 1.7 liter of water

Steps
  1. 2011_03_27 Home Cooked Food 001a

    First blanch pork ribs in the boiling water for about 5 to 8 minutes, dish out then rinse with cold water.


  2. Boil the 1.5 liter water till it’s boiling, add the blanched pork ribs into the pot and the rest of the ingredients, eg. carrots, onions, tomato and honey dates.


  3. Boil everything in the pot for about 2 hours in high flame, and simmer after that for about 30minutes.


  4. Add salt for seasoning.


If you want to make your soup base more tasty you could add more either pork ribs or chicken feet. Cantonese normally do not add rock sugar into the soup but honey dates. Thus many would find the soup a bit blur and it doesn’t look clear as what it should be. However the honey dates could make the soup more tastier and sweeter. Some may add red dates as well and some wolfberries.

This soup is easy to make, and if you’re not into a meaty day, a pot of this soup could help to warmth your belly for the night too. Enjoy!

Comments

allie said…
My favourite soup... you make me miss home cooked food so much!
Steven Goh said…
slup slup* I just love ABC soup. When can cook for me to try?
Steven Goh said…
Slop slop* looks good, when can cook for me? :)
cariso said…
You cook under high flame using gas, for 2 hours? You don't scare the water get evaporated?
worldwindows said…
My favourite soup. Easy to make. Delicious and packed with nutrition. My mom used is to do it and my wife do it and in times past during college years I do it for myself using a chicken carcass. The usage of honey dates is new to me.
FoOd PaRaDiSe said…
Long time I did not cook this soup already. This reminds me school holiday approaching. Guess this would be in my list of home cook meals. ^-^ Usually I will just get the sweetness from ingredients itself. So i will omit the dates and also black pepper.
This kangen water can be used for cooking. Bringing cooks to a new level. aha. Just take a look at it. You can have a free test in KL.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ni_Rc8Dw9A

If you or relatives and friends got health issues like cancer, strokes, gout, acid reflux, diabetics, sleep problem, skin problem and heart attack visit here.
http://www.youtube.com/user/xtremexn?feature=mhee#p/c/5963C57C07B572DF/0/H5xegFABerA
Babe_KL said…
I usually add beetroot as well to make it ABCD soup hahaha
Hi allie, it's easy to make, you can make it yourself too.

Hi Steven, anytime la!!

Hi cariso, nope, not at all.

Hi worldwindows, many household will use honey dates also.

Hi Food Paradise, to get the sweetness of the soup is all the ingredients and I added on honey dates.

Hi Taiping boy, thanks for the link.

Hi Babe_KL, hahahaa... 1st time hearing ABCD soup!! Very creative!