Confinement Supper

Every confinement woman will have to go thru a certain confinement food, apart from restricted to take bath, hair wash, and so on. At night they are encouraged to take herbal soup as supper.

I was basically almost every 2 days, mom will double boil those herbal soup for me, either is Chinese Angelica Sinensis Root (Dong Quai/當歸) or other herbs like Eu Yan Sang’s Bak Foong Pills (白鳳丸) and, Codonopsis pilosula (Dang Shen/黨蔘), Wolfberry 枸杞.

Each of these Chinese Herbs has its ways of functions to reinforce our weakness in our body. For example, Dang Shen is to nourish the stomach and promote the flow of Qi. Dong Quai is to eliminate blood stagnation in women’s uterus or womb and it’s also balancing a woman’s hormone system too.

When I under went such treatment, the only thing that really made you so moody apart from the loss was the restrictions. Restricted from taking bath, hair wash, bare foot, must lie on the bed all the time, not allow to drink room temperature water, it has to be warm water, sweating like nobody’s business, etc.

But according to many elderly, it is a good sign if your body is sweating even though you’re stagnant. That shows that, the herbs are nourishing the body, especially the womb.

Comments

ling239 said…
must really take care of ur body ya...
eat well according to the elderly's advice, i am sure they are very caring of u ~ so be good ^_^
CK Lam said…
U are lucky to hv yr mum nearby to boil those 'boh' soup.
Be a 'kuay loi' and consume all of it :)
Little Inbox said…
"Pak Fong Yuen" can be taken after stop bleeding, and Dong Quai is suitable after 2 weeks. Initially, I took tung sheng & kei qi soup, "Saw Hup" pills, and black dates/longan hot drink.
Sweet Jasmine said…
These confinement soups are very nutritios....My mom cook these for me during my confinement too...alternating tong sum and tong kwai soup to go with the rice....
Precious Pea said…
While I am commenting now, Hubby is downstairs cooking vinegared trotters. Nah..no one gave birth in the house...just that we are super fans of vinegered pork and chicken wine. LOL!! Hey, take care yah.
Hi Ling239, yes they are.

Hi CK Lam, yes, very lucky. That's why lots of people saying that I look much better than when I was expecting.

Hi Little Inbox, I took black dates/red dates drink as well as those fried rice drink. Heard it was equally good as 'Saw Hup'. That could expel gas from the body.

Hi Sweet Jasmine, ya, you're right. Tong Sam is good for recuperating the body strength.

Hi Precious Pea, that's my favourite too. I didn't want it cuz, it reminds me of a baby's full moon. Cuz, it hurts me.